Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 138

Thread: Buddy Rich today!

  1. #91
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Everyone's opinion is welcome. And respected. Know it or not this is HOD at its best. Well said, gentlemen and ladies. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  2. #92
    Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Posts
    1,335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    And YOUR opin, Mssr. 5? [img]wink.gif[/img] Or do you craftily invoke the '5'th...

    I tells ya, Ricketts Rockitt could quite possibly put pre-cursor Peter Criss to shame in an eyeshadow, liner, &" [img]redface.gif[/img] "application <s>clinic</s> contest...

    Better pouter...RR, CCDeV, or Billy Idol?! No wait, Idol was a "snarler"...OK, Idol or precursor Elvis, for better Snarler?!
    Idol, hands down. [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img] [It's only the 'natural evolution of things'...] ;-p

    Louie would beat BR today hands down. BR is a little stiff these days.
    [Da**it, now I've gone too far...] j/k

    Ellie Mae Clampett would kick Buddy, Vinnie, Philly, Louie, Faith, Shania, Tanya Tucker, Ginger, AND Maryann's arse.

    But not Bruce Lee's.
    Say, didn't Vinnie have a song named, incidentally,...?

    Lee, Seagal, or that 80s-rock-poser equivalent Van Damme? [j/k, Jean...but he IS prettier, yes? No?!]

    Well, guess that's it for me, here. No, I mean my tenure here in the forums... ;-)

    Hmmm...tomorrow, AM...PanCakes vs. Waffles? Let's debate.
    Nah, scwue it, siwwy wabbit. Ceweal it is.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 17, 2005 12:51 AM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

  3. #93
    Inactive Member Schreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 10th, 2004
    Posts
    122
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hi mr. confused me,

    it would be interesting for me, to know THE ONE oppinon, you have,
    because it seems to me, that you have two.

    1.) My stating my opin that VC is a far technically superior player
    than Mr. Rich in no way takes away from Buddy's greatness & musicality
    at what it is he did.

    2.) [VC may perhaps be the brain surgery; while BR was the spine surgery ...
    it's no less simple than that.]

    3.) Buddy Rich was great. Vinnie is great. It's that simple.

    4.) But in a PARTICULAR STYLE such as on a Faith Hill gig, neither VC, DW,
    OR BR better be pulling out their arsenal of facility to the tee! /;-p

    5.) There have been & are many great BB drummers in our day & in the past,
    of which BR was top dog, but there is only one Vincent C.

    6.) But OVERALL, otherwise, BR isn't in those other two's league. Sorry.

    7.) It is MO that VC & DW play things on a higher plane than BR.

    8.) But Vin & Dave can do the GRP BB All-Stars gig all day long, no prob].

    9.) Buddy was very strictly rudimentally based, & he was indeed great at it;
    snare, toms, & kick [similar to Boomer in fusion]; wheras VC & DW are a little
    more 3 & 4 dimensional with their applications, & the phrasing is really far advanced,


    please show me, where the consistence of this statements are ?
    you say one one hand, "yes, both are good"
    but one the other hand, all I read is your BUT ...
    so, if you think VC is the far technically superior player,
    it means something, yes ?
    and technic has something to do with a musician, yes ?
    <h3>and if VC has the better technic, what does it mean in your context ?</h3>
    if BR was JUST a top dog under many great BB drummers,
    but there is only one VC. what does it mean ?
    what does it mean, to state different LEAGUES ?
    by the way, I HATE this word LEAGUE.
    what does the higher plane mean ?

    does this all just mean, that BOTH are great musicians ? ...

    but perhaps the only thing you can really measure is the technic.
    that's your point one.
    and I repeat myself.

    "if you like to measure, o.k.
    then I'am telling you, that BR SINGLES are faster,
    his doubles are faster, his left-hand-rightfoot stroke is faster,
    his singles between snare and ridecymbal were faster.
    his movement around the drum kit incl. crosssticking is faster and so on."

    another way could be, to write down note by note a drumsolo by buddy rich,
    to check out his IMAGINATION.
    I would do it, but I'am an autodidact. I have no knowledge about writing down.
    And I'am sure, if you write down the drum solo - second part of Westside story -
    or you write down the channel one suite solo, both from 1983,
    you perhaps would understand, what the point is.

    by the way, to compare technic is o.k.
    but not the bassdrumfoot.
    it's irregular, to compare a fuc... speed king with a sonor giant step.
    but BR was quick enough anyway.

  4. #94
    cjbdrm
    Guest cjbdrm's Avatar

    Post

    I skipped most of the posts on the 3rd and 4th page but I'm posting anyway.

    In fact, that's why I'm posting...

    Does anyone else skip really long posts?

    Anytime I see a long one, that means there's some stupid kiddie shit going down again. Some kind of meaningless battle/argument/pissing contest...

    Then I always think: wow- if you spent that much time on working on your music...

  5. #95
    Inactive Member davfrancis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    what he said!

  6. #96
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "And YOUR opin, Mssr. 5?"

    Dave Grohl and I agree that Taylor Hawkins can whup him and me with one stick tied behind his back. Certain Nirvana tracks knock me out AND Grohl is a friend of Bonham and any friend of Bonham's is a friend of mine. [img]wink.gif[/img] That said, I'd rather hear Mike Bordin with the remaining Zep crew than Grohl (who could definitely handle it.)

    Buddy? I love him as much as I love Chick, Gene, Louie (what a pro), Shaughnessey (can you say Super-Bad?), Smitty, et al.

    Tony I've spent more time listening to and trying to copy. Ditto for Bernard, Jeff, Stewart, John Henry, Charlie, Neil, Simon, Terry, Vinnie, et al.

    I goof on the whole pantheon of drummers. Like I said before there's a certain manic insanity that comes with the territory (from Shaughnessey pork chops to Bozzio hair spray to Colaiuta mustaches.) I have an empathy for all drummers; from the kid down the street learning 2 & 4 to a badass like JoJo Mayer.

    Everybody's got some licks I can steal. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

  7. #97
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    P.S. To sum the thread up I think it's down to the old school new school division line.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 17, 2005 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Five Eight ]</font>

  8. #98
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    P.P.S. Just where the hell is marklucas anyway? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  9. #99
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does anyone else skip really long posts?

    Anytime I see a long one, that means there's some stupid kiddie shit going down again. Some kind of meaningless battle/argument/pissing contest...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lord have mercy! Do I take it that you don't read books? How do you expect to learn from others if you are stupid enolugh to ignore so-called long posts? Is it only short posts that have any validity?
    Frankly, I've never heard such rubbish.

  10. #100
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Myself, I'm readin' every freakin' word! HOD's got the big guns out on this 'un!

    It's re-education.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •